Sunday, April 7, 2013

Forlan has no regrets over European exit

The Uruguay striker expressed his happiness with his decision to move to Internacional and stressed that he made his choice based on footballing reasons not just personal ones.
Internacional forward Diego Forlan has expressed his delight with life in the south of Brazil and is confident that he made the right decision to leave European football behind.

The 33-year-old had his contract terminated by Inter Milan last July, allowing him to sign a three-year deal with the Brasileirao outfit, a choice he believes was the correct one.

"It was not a difficult decision," the former Manchester United and Atletico Madrid striker told BBC Sport. "I try not to have any regrets. Brazil is a very nice country, they play very good football and pay good money - it's not so different from Europe.

"It's a really happy time for me. Not only because of the football but I'm in a relationship with my girlfriend. I'm close to Uruguay so it's easy for her and for me. Of course, I'm also close to my family - it's only an hour flight."

Forlan endured a torrid 2011-12 season with the Nerazzurri before leaving the club after scoring only twice in 20 appearances during a campaign blighted by injury; however, the winner of Golden Ball at the 2010 FIFA World Cup was quick to stress that he did not abandon Europe to play a lower level of football.

"Italy was a bad time for me," Forlan conceded. "When I came in [at Inter] the team was struggling. I scored in my first game and then got injured and was out for two and a half months. In the end I was playing out of position.

"I have played in so many leagues in different countries. Every league is different - I don't think one is better than another or if you play well in Europe, you will play well here [in Brazil]. That's not how it works.

"Everywhere you go you have big clubs, so it's not an easy league."

0 comments:

Post a Comment