Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Robben: Kroos injury benefits me

The 29-year-old is hoping to feature more prominently in the first team after the frustration of starting on the bench for his side's 2-0 win over Juventus on Tuesday.
Bayern Munich winger Arjen Robben hopes that the injury suffered by teammate Tony Kroos in his side's 2-0 win over Juventus will allow him more first team football.

Robben replaced Kroos in the first half of the clash at the Allianz Arena after the Germany international suffered a hip injury, and the Netherlands winger admits he now hopes to feature more prominently in the starting lineup after the frustration of being left on the bench.

"It does not look so good for Kroos, but then that is better for me. It happens in football," Robben told NOS. "I was sick that I had to start on the bench. On Saturday I played a great game (in the 9-2 victory over Hamburg) and I wanted to continue that form, but the coach decided otherwise. I ended up playing tonight so I have to be happy."

Despite Bayern's dominant victory over the Old Lady, Robben insists the tie remains far from over, and pointed to a number of missed chances that could possibly come back to haunt the Bavarians.

"Of course it is far from over, but we have made a great step towards the semifinals," he stated. "We have had opportunities to expand the score, but the important thing is that we have given our all and kept a clean sheet."

0 comments:

Post a Comment